We define a Parenting Educator as a professional who provides guidance, support, and education for individuals in their role as a parent to impact their knowledge, skills, and development leading to improved parent-child interaction and child outcomes.
Certified Parenting Educators play an important role in helping parents become the first and forever teachers in their children’s lives. The Family Connection provides professional training and job opportunities to Parenting Educators that are passionate about improving the lives of parents and children. Please learn more about this career opportunity below.
Parenting Educator News
Why become a Parenting Educator for The Family Connection?
- Part-time job, paid at a competitive wage.
- Work minimally a couple hours per week for about 10 weeks at a time (some series are 7 weeks in a row, some are 12, depending on the curriculum you teach).
- Work for an organization that makes a positive difference in families’ lives.
The Family Connection will support you in this endeavor!
- We will pay for you to be trained to teach parenting classes.
- We will advertise for your class (class sizes are 10-15 adults).
- We will help find and pay for childcare providers.
- We will fund provided meals (you may be asked to do your own pick up).
- We will provide resources for your resource table.
- We will buy appealing incentive items to keep your parents coming back.
- We will be available to you for troubleshooting for the entire series.
What we’ll expect from you:
- A meeting to discuss implementation and responsibilities.
- An interactive group experience at each Parenting Class.
- Be flexible in picking up meals for your classes.
- Be personable and friendly towards parents.
- Set out a resource table for parents.
- Gather data for us about your class for us to present to our funders.
Upcoming Nurturing Parenting Curriculum (March 5-9, 2017)
Please fill out The Family Connection’s scholarship application or fill out Jennifer Moss’ registration by February 5th. The Families in Recovery Program (Nurturing Parenting Substance Abuse) is an evidence-based, 17 week training course designed to teach parenting and nurturing skills to families in Recovery. Each 1 ½ hour class provides proven, effective skills for healthy family relationships and child development, geared towards adults in all stages of recovery. NFP and Families in Recovery have been successfully implemented in Schools, Head Start, Churches, State DSS, Prisons, Halfway Houses, Prevent Child Abuse, Parenting and Counseling Centers, Military, Community Action Agencies and many others. Available in Spanish. A Sample of TOPICS from the Nurturing Parenting Program(12 weeks): Positive Parenting • Communication • Nurturing • Culture/Spirituality • Making Healthy Choices • Age Appropriate Discipline • Expressing Feelings/ Self-Care, Calming • Managing Stress and Anger • Topic of Trust/ Life Cycles of Development • How substance abuse affects families/How Recovery affects families • Self-Esteem: Building blocks of self-esteem • Infant Care • Topic of Touch/ Boundaries • Nurturing Schedules & Routines • Safety & Protecting Children. • Values • Topic of Guiding Behavior/Positive Discipline • Topic of Grief, Loss & Love • Having Fun Again!
- $375 Both Trainings: March 5th – 9th 9am to 5pm
- $325 Nurturing Parenting CORE Training: March 5th – 7th 9am to 5pm
- $350 Nurturing Parenting Substance Abuse Training: March 7th – 9th 9am to 5pm
- Location: Health and Human Services Building, 140 S Holly St, Medford, OR 97501
All people that certify themselves (pay the fee to Jennifer Moss) will be eligible for hire through us. So, a chance to make your fee back within the first implementation of your class is possible. However, we don’t always have the most centrally located job opportunities because we are mandated to place classes evenly through JxCo and JoCo. Also, there are other organizations (like schools) that are wanting this service and will pay an Independent Contractor for teaching a class series, too.
For more information, contact:
- OrPEN (Oregon Parenting Educator Network) FREE sign up
- Recognizing an ongoing need for a recognition system specifically for Parenting Educators in the state of Oregon, we are in the process of developing the OPEC Recognition System. The OPEC Recognition System for Parenting Educators will provide a way for Parenting Educators to log and track education, professional development, and workforce hours as well as apply for recognition as a parenting educator. The OPEC Recognition System is being developed to support Parenting Educators from different pathways and offers a road map for on-going professional development.
- The Oregon Parenting Education Network
- The Oregon Parenting Education Network (OrPEN) is a network created by Parenting Educators for Parenting Educators. Our goal as a community of professionals is to build and maintain an organization that supports the hard work of Oregon Parenting Educators.
- OrPEN Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/oregonpen/
- Parenting Educator Trainings & Conferences: https://orparenting.org/parent-educators/conferencetrainings/
- Contact The Family Connection directly to see if we have a local training opportunity: 541-734-5150 x1042
- Parenting Educator Resources: https://orparenting.org/parent-educators/resources/
- Please contact us for a recruitment meeting or more information (above information).